Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Caffiene: What's Your Addiction?

There's been a few things on my mind today, and I've felt like I need to get them off my chest.

First off, I'd like to congratulate myself. All this time has gone by, and I haven't even realized that I am doing exceptionally well with kicking my pop habit, and drinking lots of water. I've been keeping up with this for about a month now, which is a huge success for me. Up until this time, from the time I was about 8, I've been drinking almost nothing but pop, and about 6 to 8 cans a day. Saying this now, I'm shocked. Yet, this was my life for many years. But, on a positive note, I'm really glad I'm doing all this. It feels really good to finally be doing something about it, and moving towards my goal, rather than just complaining, and staying stagnant. Now, I've always got a water bottle with me, and I constantly drink it, and fill it back up! It's become more of a habit. And, let me tell you, it feels good to finally have a good one. My ultimate goal is to completely kick pop out of my diet. However, most days, I feel like I'm not awake yet, until I have a cup of coffee, or a can of pop.

This brings me to my next point. I don't have many vices in life. I don't smoke, nor have I ever. I don't drink, and I've never done drugs. I'm just addicted to caffeine. I think most people don't really believe that caffeine is that addicting, I used to think this way as well. But, in trying to kick my caffeine habit, I've noticed how addicting it really is. Sure, it's nothing like smoking, or drugs, but it's still addicting. It's habit-forming, and I know when I first was depriving myself of it, I was getting sluggish and having headaches. While this all subsided after a few days, I still have to fight the urge all the time. It's still there in the back of my head when I have a meal, and I'm faced with a choice: what to drink? I open my refrigerator, and look around. There's can's of Dr. Pepper (my caffeine vice of choice), bottles of water, milk, juice, etc. I have to be strong enough to grab a bottle of water each and every time.

Sometimes I fail. But, that's okay. This is what this journey is all about. Not about really being skinny, but it's about being healthy. That's my ultimate goal, and nothing can top that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment