Thursday, January 6, 2011

I Used To Be Fat: The Introduction

Okay. You got me. I didn't used to be fat. I AM fat. Yet, that's my goal, to say, "I used to be fat."
So, you're probably wondering why I'm telling you this, so let me tell you a little about myself.

First off, I'm a female, I'm 5'2", and I weigh 185lbs. To me, this is crazy. I'm 21 now, and in high school, I was calling myself fat at 140lbs. If only I could go back to those days. I was trying to lose the same 20 pounds since I was about just 13 years old. I've never had great eating habits, but I usually try to incorporate healthy things into my diet. I've exercised on and off for about 8 years. I've went from being a couch potato to doing at-home workouts to exercising for 2 hours a day at the gym. I've went from eating nothing but fast food to not eating, to eating everything, then purging. And, let me tell you, none of it has worked. So, I'm throwing in the towel, the dirty, old used towel. The fat towel that is. I'm tired of living this unhealthy lifestyle. I want to say that I'm healthy. I want to say that I can actually buy clothes that I like. I want to say that I used to be fat. So, you see, this is my goal. But, this time is different. It's not like all those other times before. This time, I'm deciding to share my story and struggles. Maybe it will help me stay on track, who knows. Or, maybe it just gives me an excuse to write.

So, here's the goals:
My current weight: 185lbs
My ultimate goal: 120lbs

But, I just don't want to keep telling myself, "Hey, you've got 65lbs to lose!" No, this doesn't work. To stick to a long-term goal, you have to think of it in short-term. Otherwise, it just feels so overwhelming.  So, each week, I'm going to have a goal. Not necessarily a weight loss goal, but just an acheivable goal. Good nutrition doesn't come to you overnight, so I'm going to do this slowly. Every other time, I've drastically changed my diet from pizza and soda to celery and water overnight. This is very hard to stick to. Hence, the slowness. This time HAS to be different. I know I can do this. I can do anything that I set my mind to. But, for some reason with weight loss, it's hard for me to wrap my head around it. It sounds so simple: good nutrition + exercise = weight loss. But, I always mess up the equation somehow.

So, for this week my goal, from today until next Thursday, is not to have any pop. This is going to be very hard. Although I've cut back ALOT, I still drink at least a pop a day. I'm addicted to Dr. Pepper, and have been for many years. I know people say, hey, caffeine isn't all that addicting. But, it is.

I know I can do this. Anyone can. You just have to stick to it. Researchers say that in order for something to become a habit, you have to do it for 21 days. That's right just 3 weeks! So, I figure my next goal, ought to be, to exercise EVERYDAY for 3 weeks. That way, after I've accomplished my goal, it will become a habit. Now, for it to become part of your everyday life, you have to do it for 6 months. And, this stuff has to become part of my life everyday.

So, I vow to make a conscious effort to be good to my body. Good nutrition and exercise.

Time for more goals:

I've decided to break this loss of weight into 2 goals. First, I'd like to lose 30 pounds by my birthday, which is March 29th. So, this is definitely doable. Then, lose the rest, 35lbs, by July 1st.

I will be updating daily with my diet, fallbacks, accomplishments, exercise, maybe even some pictures.

Thank you for reading, It's time for some breakfast! (Healthy breakfast!)

1 comment:

  1. So wonderful that you're making the change! I definitely agree that making changes SLOWLY is key. I have the same problem of trying to make drastic changes overnight :)

    Good luck! Looking forward to blogging more with you.

    ReplyDelete